Tuesday, February 1, 2011

You blink your eyes

And they're gone.

My alarm goes off each morning at 5:45. Maybe 5 seconds after I had silenced it, the phone rang. A phone call at 5:45 in the morning is either A) a wrong number or B) bad news. There in the darkness of the bedroom I looked at the phone and saw the name "Dad" on the caller ID. Now I knew...
I said an audible, "uh oh..." and picked up the phone.

"Just a few minutes ago..." he said. "We got here just after..." he said. "I just wanted to tell you that Nanny passed away."

Make sure you take each chance you have to tell people you love them. Because, though you have all the warning in the world and though you see the cloud of death lowly approaching on the horizon - that 5:45am call still seems to be too soon.

But I do not mourn for her. I know Christ because of my grandmother - and I know exactly where she is.

And one day... I'll be there too.




“Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also." John 14:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment